Its that time of year when the garlic are happily growing their scapes! Typically they are removed to redirect energy from growing the scape (and eventually flower) to growing a larger bulb. But instead of removing them and throwing them away, they are quite the delicacy for eating. And since its summer, why not prepare the scapes in a way that would be great for picnics or potlucks!
They taste the same as garlic, just a little less potent. Which is why they work perfectly in pestos, dips, and more lovely recipes! They taste great in place of green onions and garlic in a dish as well.
Garlic Scape Chip Dip
- 9 garlic scapes, tough parts and buds trimmed
- 1/8-1/4 cup water
- 3 cups soft cheese of choice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the garlic scapes and water to a blender, blend until smooth (adding extra water as needed)
- In a bowl, add soft cheese, cream, Worcestershire sauce, and the blended garlic scape paste, mix by hand until fully incorporated
- Store in refrigerator until serving, it will last in the fridge for about 4-6 days